Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Grand Piano

The Grand Piano was a series I hosted for 2 1/2 years over WMHT-FM in Schenectady, New York. I was doing part time work for the station, and its program director was the one who came up with the concept for the series. I made use of my own long background as a piano collector and critic, my collection of piano recordings, and my broadcasting experience to put these programs together. Under the direction of the program director, Robert McBride, who was the program's original producer, and using the great engineering and editing expertise of Rob Brown, I was able to produce a series that I am still proud of.

After the series ended, it was rebroadcast in its entirety over KBPS in Portland, Oregon, where Robert McBride had gone (and where he is still on the air; check them out at www.allclassical.org ). Since then it hasn't been heard anywhere. We thought Parnassus's customers and friends might enjoy hearing these programs.

We were hoping to put the series up along with complete playlists of the recordings used. These will follow, but we couldn't get them ready in time for a September launch and we had to get started without them. These playlists will be posted on the website, where we will be introducing a new program each week until the series has been completed. They will remain available indefinitely.

Leslie Gerber
Parnassus Records

No comments: